How to turn a downloaded template into a silhouette cut file
(Please click on the photos for a larger, clearer image to see cut details etc more easily)
1. Upload your template into your silhouette software
2. Open your 'Trace window' (1.) and click on 'Select trace area' (2.) This enables to you pull/stretch a box over your template, which then highlights all the parts in yellow that it will trace.
3. Click 'Trace' - This will then trace the lines that were yellow and if you move your original template out of the way, you will see nice red cut lines have now been created.
4. You can now scale / Move and cut your template out using your Silhouette.
If you come across a template that creates a double cut line when traced (which will ultimately just cut off the edge of your template), there are a few ways you can get this back to a single cut line, here is one of them:
1. Take a close look at the picture you can see more than one line to cut for the template. Select your image and right click - Select 'Release compound Path' from the drop down menu.
2. This picture shows a close up of the double lines, you only want one to cut a circle or you will end up with a very thin circle cut out of your card. Click on the outer line and hit delete.
3. You should now be left with just one line, like this
4. To create your perforated lines, add a straight line over the centre of your dashes (1.) (to make sure you get it in the right place) and then delete the dashes from underneath. Then select your new straight line and in your 'Line Style' window select some of the dashes, it will automatically convert your straight line into a perforated line. (2.)
5. You will now be left with a single cut line template. Highlight all shapes and re-group them, you can then re-size and move your template around easily.
Thanks for stopping by, if you have any questions or queries, please feel free to comment or use the contact me option and I will try to help.
PDF Download of these instructions HERE