CONTACT form can be found at the bottom of the page

  • CONTACT form can be found at the bottom of the page

Search This Blog

July 28, 2013

MY BROTHERS BIRTHDAY CARDS

Well my brother is a modern day Geek!

Quite unassuming , laid back and doesn't look like your typical Geek, but still he is a geek nevertheless.


Another Two cards needed on top of getting my mother in laws two cards done, on top of being busy, busy, busy.


One was quick and simple. 

He writes in computer code, one of these being Binary, so I found a website that generates this code from any sentence you type in and so in I typed 'Happy Birthday Uncle James' and I copied the code that appeared.

I then literally pasted the code onto a blank page, added the readable (for us non-geeks) version to the right hand corner and printed it out onto white card. I folded it in half and this was the card, simple but effective and he found it very amusing and clever!




....................................................................................................................................................


 For his 'Brother' card, I decided to go with the geek theme again, but this time a retro game theme. I had seen some pop up card inserts before in pictures and decided to give this a go.

 I created cut files in Silhouette, found a retro space invader font to add into my library and used my Silhouette to write it on the insert with sketch pens. 

I then set my silhouette to cut my new cut file onto the same sheet I had just written on and this gave me my 3D pop up insert, I glued and taped the insert into a folded piece of card and was done.





 However, as much as this took the basis of the main part of the card, as it can be displayed as shown (and I had placed a specially made insert on the back to write on, which had a black top/bottom border, with white space invader symbols on it) I wasn't happy to leave the normal front of the card blank.

 I decided to make the front of the card look like a computer screen with the space invader score screen on display. 

 I printed the image off, added a thin white border and then another black border to make it stand out and then covered the whole front with acetate to give it that screen gloss.


OK, so this probably could've been a card in itself, but I had already made the pop up and that was what I had originally wanted for his card.

I finished it all off, by wrapping his presents in some great space invader wrapping paper, just to tie it all together :)

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, all comments are much appreciated
xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...